i was just thumbing through one of my favourite books on therapy, escape from babel, and came across a set of questions asked of a person who is struggling with depression (interestingly, just as i found in my little research piece, the depression here is described as a “black cloud”):
- what would be different if the black cloud lifted?
- what would be the smallest sign that the black cloud was lifting?
- what would be the first sign?
- when you no longer had to spend so much tome struggling with the black cloud, what would you be doing more of instead?
- who would be the first person to notice you had won the battle with the black cloud?
- what would that person notice different about you that would tell him or her that the battle was finally won?
- where do you suppose you would be when you first noticed the changes?
- what will have happened just before that would have contributed to the change?
- what will happen after that would help maintain it?
those among you who have experience with depression – what do you think of these questions? are they helpful? how?
counselling in vancouver