a propos our conversation about appreciative communication on the internet, i remembered this today, by the buddha:
when admonishing someone, keep these six considerations in mind:
- is my heart free of malice towards this person?
- have i been guilty of this offence myself?
- do i speak at the right time?
- is this the truth?
- do i speak gently?
- am i concerned with profit to myself?
along the same lines, 19th century indian guru sai baba had these thoughts on mindful speech:
before you say anything, consider these questions:
- is it true?
- is it kind?
- is it necessary?
- will it improve on the silence?
i find the last one the most challenging, especially as a blogger.
is what i say better than silence?
(this post appears in the carnival of struggling bumbling newbies)